Finding out that you have diabetes may come as a shock to you. However, thousands of diabetics have proven that you can manage this condition and still enjoy life. Life style changes are necessary to maintain good overall health. But, you may wonder how diabetes can force you to make such fundamental changes.
It’s simple. Unless you change your lifestyle including your diet and exercise regime, your symptoms will multiply. What’s more, your diabetes may then lead to all sorts of other health issues.
Diabetes Diagnosis – What’s Next?
Your physician has told you that you have diabetes. So, what do you need to do now and why? Depending on the diabetes type, your physician may prescribe medication, get you to inject insulin, and make several other lifestyle changes. Why? Because if you don’t follow your physician’s advice, complications will arise.
These complications may include, kidney disease, cataracts, nerve damage, heart disease, stroke, or blocked blood vessels in your legs. Still wonder how diabetes can force you to make drastic lifestyle changes?
- Advertisement -
Living with Diabetes – Lifestyle Changes
Together with your medical team, including your physician, dietician, and dentist, you will devise a plan to help you manage your diabetes. To enable you to maintain a good lifestyle, they will advice you on the following aspects:
• Medication: If you suffer from type 1 diabetes, you will need to inject insulin, whereas type 2 sufferers can usually manage the condition by taking diabetes pills
• Diet: One of the most central and crucial ways of controlling your blood sugar levels is by devising a meal plan.
• Exercise: Your team will also advise you to exercise regularly.
• Routine: Finally, it’s important for diabetics to establish a routine around their medication, diet, and activity levels.
• Regular Check Ups: You will need to self-check your blood sugar levels and have regular check ups with your physician.
Now you know how diabetes can force you to live a healthier life. If you don’t, you’ll run into all sorts of health problems.